Once you are being treated for depression, you can make lifestyle changes and choices that will help you through the rough times and may prevent depression from returning:
- Try to identify and focus on activities that make you feel better. It is important to do things for yourself. Don’t isolate yourself. Take part in activities even when you may not want to. Such activity may actually make you feel better.
- Talk with your friends and family and consider joining a support group. Communicating and discussing your feelings is an integral part of your treatment and will help with your recovery.
- Try to maintain a positive outlook. Having a good attitude can be beneficial.
- Regular exercise and proper diet are essential to good health. Exercise has been found to increase the levels of the body’s own natural antidepressants called endorphins.
- Try to get enough rest and maintain a regular sleeping pattern.
- Avoid drinking alcohol or using any illicit substances.